Friday, September 24, 2010

LOTR Character - Ghula

My LOTR character. His race is the Gahl, brutish-looking creatures that despite their appearance are surprisingly good-natured. However, they're smart enough to have a pretty good idea of what humans, elves and the like would do if they saw them (i.e. mistake them for evil creatures and slaughter them all), and have voluntarily gone into hiding. Most of them prefer to be alone, though they still don't mind socializing with others of their own species. Due to their sensitive eyes, they live in caves and other dark places, and never uncover them when it's bright. They do have excellent hearing, though, which helps them move about in the surface as well as if they could see.

This one's name is Ghula, and he's a traveler. A relatively-small gahl (about 12 feet tall), he currently travels around middle-earth to study how other species live and behave. He remains neutral in all conflicts, however, which is why he just watched the battle in Mordor from a distance instead of choosing a side.

These are the concept sketches:
First thing I did was come up with a face (after all, that's where most first impressions come from). Once I finished it, I used a blunt 6B pencil to make a thumbnail of how he'd look full-body. Put an elf next to him for size comparisons. Gave him a shield tied to his gut for kicks.

Here's the final sketch, before coloring:
I scanned it and colored it using Gimp + Gimp Paint Studio (for the curious, follow this link). I'm not good at explaining how I do stuff, so I recorded it:

Hope this is good enough, and sorry I couldn't offer a better description for him - I'm not really familiar with the LOTR lore.

-- Nieves

No comments:

Post a Comment